Jupyterlab opening a different file that whats passed in the url

jlabredirect

I am trying to open Untitled.ipynb, however as you can see in the gif, it redirects the url to Untitled1.ipynb and instead open up that file.

I thought opening the url at /doc/tree is the way to open jupyterlab with a certain file opened, as mentioned here. Please let me know if i am missing something here.

Looks like a bug to me. Does it only happen to files titled Unnamed.ipynb, or to other files too?

Thanks @krassowski , it happens for any file. After debugging, seems like its bcos of workspaces. Since the 2 files are in the same workspace, somehow, server renders the page based on the workspace. If i move the files to different workspaces, it works fine with ?reset option. Though it would be good to confirm this theory, i will try to spend sometime to look into that part of the code and update here.

Thanks @rising_star.

This appears to be an issue indeed. Maybe the workspace takes precedence on startup.

Would it be possible to create an example repo / gist (if it can be tested on Binder that would be great!), and file that as an issue? Thanks!

@fomightez has previously reported several problems with JupyterLab workspaces in other forum threads, they might be related to this issue?

Thanks @jtp , let me open an issue, pretty easy to repro, i will outline the steps there.

@jtp , looks like there was an issue already opened for this, i just added my comments https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab/issues/11120

I don’t think that one is related; I think that the error you are seeing is workspace is restored instead of loading requested document via `/tree/notebook.ipynb` · Issue #10876 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub. It was fixed in Restore workspace and open _tree_ path by fcollonval · Pull Request #11168 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub two weeks ago and included in 3.1.16 release. @rising_star what version of JupyterLab were you using (please go to HelpAbout JupyterLab and copy-paste the version number).

ah thanks @krassowski , i am using 3.1.6, let me try that build you mentioned.