Jupyter run hangs on start, notebook starts fine

Hello, please help me debug this issue.

I just upgraded my macOS to 12.2 and I cannot start jupyter lab. This is what happens:

$ jupyter run --debug
[RunApp] Searching ['/Users/markov/tmp', '/Users/markov/.jupyter', '/Users/markov/tmp/test-env/etc/jupyter', '/usr/local/etc/jupyter', '/etc/jupyter'] for config files
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter_config in /etc/jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter_config in /usr/local/etc/jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter_config in /Users/markov/tmp/test-env/etc/jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter_config in /Users/markov/.jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter_config in /Users/markov/tmp
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter run_config in /etc/jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter run_config in /usr/local/etc/jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter run_config in /Users/markov/tmp/test-env/etc/jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter run_config in /Users/markov/.jupyter
[RunApp] Looking for jupyter run_config in /Users/markov/tmp
[RunApp] Connection File not found: /Users/markov/Library/Jupyter/runtime/kernel-49330.json
[RunApp] Instantiating kernel 'Python 3 (ipykernel)' with kernel provisioner: local-provisioner
[RunApp] Starting kernel: ['/Users/markov/tmp/test-env/bin/python3.9', '-m', 'ipykernel_launcher', '-f', '/Users/markov/Library/Jupyter/runtime/kernel-49330.json']
[RunApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:50308
[RunApp] connecting iopub channel to tcp://127.0.0.1:50305
[RunApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:50305
[RunApp] connecting shell channel to tcp://127.0.0.1:50304
[RunApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:50304
[RunApp] connecting stdin channel to tcp://127.0.0.1:50306
[RunApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:50306
[RunApp] connecting heartbeat channel to tcp://127.0.0.1:50307
[RunApp] connecting control channel to tcp://127.0.0.1:50308
[RunApp] Connecting to: tcp://127.0.0.1:50308
[RunApp] jupyter run: starting...

I can see 2 python processes, but nothing happens. Strangely, jupyter notebook command works fine and launches kernel, opening the browser window.

This is a fresh install in a separate virtualenv:

jupyter              1.0.0
jupyter-client       7.1.2
jupyter-console      6.4.0
jupyter-core         4.9.1
jupyterlab-pygments  0.1.2
jupyterlab-widgets   1.0.2
notebook             6.4.8

$ python -V
Python 3.9.9

Thank you

What does jupyter run do?

Well, it prints that output above and then hangs, does nothing, I don’t know what it’s doing, but waiting for 10 minutes yielded nothing

I’m guessing jupyter run is like jupyter lab or jupyter notebook in that the jupyter application starts up the thing that’s being specified. However, I am wondering what run is.

Thank you!
I now got your question and I feel stupid. I assumed (for some reason) that jupyter run will start the jupyter lab. Turns out jupyter lab is a separate package and it runs ok when installed.

Still, I wonder what jupyter run does. Maybe every time we run the command something wonderful happens. :slight_smile:

I think it runs a notebook (if you specify it) Running the Notebook — Jupyter Documentation 4.1.1 alpha documentation

1 Like

Since I see people do occasionally follow that link, I’m going to clarify some. Here correctly states, " jupyter run is actually a jupyter-client CLI, which runs a Python script, not a notebook."
It is jupyter execute that runs a notebook on the command line as covered later in that thread. Presently, the documentation mxposed links to still has it wrong; that situation with the documentation looks to be finally being addressed perhaps.