Introduce yourself!

Hello, I’m Tyler, a developer advocate at Google in Mountain View, California. I work primarily on the Earth Engine project (geospatial analysis), and use JupyterHub for teaching workshops and supporting small research communities that use the Earth Engine Python API with Jupyter.

5 Likes

@willingc good call! I added a bolded sentence about this to the “banner message” on the main page. LMK if you think that could be edited to be more clear!

4 Likes

Hi, I’m Kelly and I’m a computer systems engineer in the Data Science Engagement Group at NERSC. I’m just getting started with working on JupyterHub-related projects.

5 Likes

Hi,

I’m Tony, an academic an optimistic technologist, been helping run a distance ed HE course for 3 years that uses Jupyter notebooks in a VM as a key part of a final year undergrad course. I just launched the Tracking Jupyter newsletter at https://tinyletter.com/TrackingJupyter and am happy to add [Contributed: ] flagged posts to it from here, and a standing “Check out the Jupyter discourse” link if that’d be useful.

–tony

5 Likes

would love this! keeping up-to-date with Jupyter is difficult indeed. Our hope is that Discourse can make it easier for people to stay in the loop (or discover activity from the past)

3 Likes

Hi folks! I am Joe. I work at the National Center for Atmospheric Research where I sometimes get to contribute to a few Jupyter projects (repo2docker, binderhub) and a few Pangeo projects (xarray, dask, binder.pangeo.io). I mostly take advantage of being close to people with good ideas. Cheers!

5 Likes

Hi. I’m Luca. I am a cryptographer and teacher in University of Versailles. I have been a SageMath user and developer for 8 years, I use Jupyter for teaching and for research. I am involved in the OpenDreamKit project and specifically in tasks related to deploying JupyterHub.

5 Likes

Hi!

I’m Erik and hope to help increase the utilization of JupyterHubs in educational contexts. I’ve mainly contributed to a project to deploy a JupyterHub on a cloud.

To me, the warmth from the Jupyter community often makes my day, thank you!

:heart:

6 Likes

Hello all. I’m Jason and I’ve been using Jupyter/Jupyterhub in teaching and research at RPI for the last few years. I have been working with some students at the Rensselaer Center for Open Source Software on a Jupyter centric framework called Carme. The goal of Carme is to make it easier for data scientists to work with containers, manage infrastructure, and (eventually) build data applications.

I’ve really benefited from the awesome work of the Jupyter team and this discussion forum is a great addition!

7 Likes

Hi, I’m Aleks. I work at Georgia Tech and South Big Data Hub on e-collaboration platforms and projects targeting scientific research and education. I also plan on eventually c̶o̶n̶q̶u̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶ starting a science-focused startup. Regards!

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Mark Mikofski. I work on pvlib Python a Python package for predicting solar energy. I use Jupyter notebooks to support and encourage reproducible and open science by publishing them on GitHub and linking to them from my conference papers.

7 Likes

Hi all,

I am an academic with interest in methodology for computational and data science. Python, IPython and now the Jupyter ecosystem play a big role in this. I am leading data analysis software integration and development at the European XFEL in Germany and computational modelling research at the University of Southampton (United Kingdom). Research interests include reproducibility, software engineering for computational and data science, and use of emerging technology such as interactive teaching materials.

I am involved in the OpenDreamKit and other projects, supporting Jupyter developments such as nbval, and generally try to attract research funding that allows to contribute to the open source ecosystem of research software and tools.

Feedback, questions or ideas for future (joint) work are very welcome - please get in touch!

4 Likes

I am a computer support at University of Tampere, Finland. I have maintained SageMath with SageNB for years.

Now I plan to glue Jupyterhub and Shibboleth, and put at least SageMath, Julia and Python 3 as kernels for that. The server would be useful for both teaching mathematical courses and some basics of programming.

5 Likes

Hi, I’m Min! I’m a research engineer at Simula Research Lab in Norway, and I work all over Jupyter, but especially on JupyterHub and Binder these days.

5 Likes

Hi all, I’m Robin, I’ve a physics background and now work with satellite imagery and building optical systems. In my spare time I contribute to Home-Assistant and am also a big fan of micropython.

5 Likes

Hi. I’m Matthew and I’m a physics Ph.D. candidate working on the ATLAS experiment at CERN. I’ve been a user of Jupyter and Binder for research since I found it in 2014/2015. I’m also a core developer of the high energy physics focused statistical analysis package pyhf which used rendered Jupyter notebooks and Binder for all of our documentation examples. Binder has also made it possible for us to give live demos of our software during talks without ever having to worry about what machine we’re on.

I’m very much looking forward to continuing to follow (and hopefully contribute) to the development of Jupyter and Binder. :+1:

6 Likes

Hi, I am Fred. I have worked at Bloomberg since 1985. Started there building mortgage securities analytics in Fortran. My prior experience was on Wall Street. Before that I worked for a firm that did utility pricing before there was a “cloud”. Then, it was called time-sharing. :grinning:

Arrived there after departing from a graduate program in Physics.

Current interests are JupyterHub, JupyterLab, of course, and doing some sort of in-house Binder. Just getting my feet wet with TLJH, at the moment.

5 Likes

Hi, I am Kenan. I am working at GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences in Cologne. Since 1 year I work in ORC (Open Research Computing) project which is mainly based on Jupyter tools. I am really happy to work closely with this nice community and to be able to contribute as far as I can.

6 Likes

Hi, I my name is Ernesto, I am currently work on Jupyterhub at UC Santa Barbara for the College of Letters and Sciences. I have been a Linux System Administrator for 10 years.

5 Likes

I’m Aleksandra and I work for Stencila helping make Stencila open source components fit researchers’ needs. That includes making Stencila interoperable with Jupyter ecosystem. I’m based in beautiful Aotearoa (Māori for “New Zealand”).
I’m looking forward to learning a lot from all of you!

6 Likes