Feature idea: extension to simplify Binder publishing (lab>git>binder)

Similar to the RStudio Server publishing functionality, I’d like to advocate for a publish-to-Binder feature within default JupyterLab UI. There’s an entire scientific community waiting to blossom to it’s full potential here; Twitter meets arxiv w graph-based citation NLP. The network effect (quadratic multiplier) of a scientific community is how you beat VS Code & Google Colab.

Key to success would be reducing the hassle of publishing to a version control repo. Maybe the solution is using a github token to make it dead simple to publish a nb as a gist? It has to be frictionless (< 5 clicks and a name/ tag text field).

I encountered this problem recently when I wanted to rapidly publish the output of the plotly charts in my nb. I decided to skip the publish process and just exported nb to html and uploaded to s3. I also didn’t want to invest time in specifying dependencies.

Validation for this workflow:

• Deep Learning for Coders with fastai & PyTorch (JHoward, p.84); using Voila apps for inference UI.

Shoutout to @ellisonbg for highlighting the “share knowledge” theme in the first place.

@choldgraf

1 Like