Extension development on windows

Hi, my colleague, who does the development on windows, is unable to try out the sample extensions bcos of the following error
(jupyterlab-ext) D:\Projects\jupyterA>jupyter labextension develop --overwrite .
Installing d:\projects\jupytera\jupyterA\labextension → jupyterA
Symlinking: C:\Users\olpit\miniconda3\envs\jupyterlab-ext\share\jupyter\labextensions\jupyterA → d:\projects\jupytera\jupyterA\labextension
An error occured.
OSError: [WinError 1314] A required privilege is not held by the client: ‘d:\projects\jupytera\jupyterA\labextension’ → ‘C:\Users\olpit\miniconda3\envs\jupyterlab-ext\share\ju
pyter\labextensions\jupyterA’
See the log file for details: C:\Users\olpit\AppData\Local\Temp\jupyterlab-debug-ahq3s9.log

Online search hasnt helped him yet. Whats the way out here?

Have you looked at the log file? It might be helpful to post the contents here.

Reading the tea leaves there:

• i see files on D: and C:, even if whoever was running that did have admin perms, that’s game over for symlinks
    • Since conda is in play, I’d highly recommend creating the jupyterlab-ext env with --prefix right inside the working directory (but added to .gitignore!)
  • like it says, one needs some perms to create symlinks on windows.
    • the official docs are pretty sparse
    • but a quick google search for windows symlink permissions yields a fair amount of results

It could be scripting a higher-level build tool that watches the build package.json and redeploys it to {sys.prefix}/share/jupyter/labextensions/<@org/pkg> would be easier.

The symlinks issue was also discussed in Add helper for Windows on `jupyter labextension develop` · Issue #9564 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub and the docs link is Enable your device for development - Windows applications | Microsoft Docs. @rising_star if you confirm that this helps, then adding this to documentation to address Add helper for Windows on `jupyter labextension develop` · Issue #9564 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub seems like a good first issue and I’m sure that community will appreciate that :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot @krassowski , my bad, i was under the impression that the colleague has done the research work, i will keep that in mind.