Explain JupyterLab to my admin

I’m not the admin on my machine. I am able to “install” jupyterlab via pip.
But I am not able to do jupyter-lab because of an admins restriction (“Gruppenrichtline” in German).

When I now ask my admin for permission he will ask me not only what JuypterLab is and why I need it. Most important is what is technical behind it. What processes and servers are running? Isn’t there a server which is accessed by a web browser? What is it’s default config? Does it answer only on local connections?

What should an admin also know about JuypterLab?

1 Like

This is a lot to ask on a forum post.

JupyterLab is a client/server web application that allows a web browser client to edit, run, and see the results of arbitrary code on the server.

What processes and servers are running?

The actual process running will be python, the implementation language of the server stack. Once a web user requests a “kernel,” the smallest unit of interactive computing, the server will start another process as the same user. Additionally, by default, users can launch shell terminals, also served to the browser, where each is its own process.

Isn’t there a server which is accessed by a web browser?

JupyterLab is a configuration the jupyter_server, which in turn delegates actual HTTP serving to tornado.

What is it’s default config?

This is rather vague: for the most part, as it is extensible, this depends entirely on the packages installed.

Does it answer only on local connections?

By default, a browser needs to be running on the same computer where it is hosted, but it can be configured to allow other hosts.

2 Likes