Cripplingly slow scrolling speeds in Jupyter Lab in Chrome

In the last week, I have noticed an issue with scrolling in Jupyter Lab while using my external mouse in Google Chrome. When I scroll the page up/down in a notebook file, everything is fine; however, when I scroll up/down in a text file, it takes several wheel-spins to move even 10 lines. I first noticed this issue after updating to the latest version of Google Chrome (ver 94.0.4606.61)

What have I done to isolate this issue to external mouse + Jupyter Lab + Google Chrome?

1. No scrolling issues are present anywhere else. Not in any other site on the Chrome browser, and not in Jupyter Lab files in Safari
  2. My trackpad scrolls normally in all files inside Jupyter Lab + Chrome

Asks:

1. Is anyone else having the same/similar issues?
  2. Does anyone know why this is happening?
  3. Does anyone know of a fix for this?

I’m happy to provide any relevant information that I forgot to post in my OP in the comments.

Hi, same issue with you.
Did you find some solution to it?
Thanks!

Unfortunately, no. I am planning on using Safari until Chrome updates again, then check to see if the issue is resolved.

It’s reassuring to know that someone else is experiencing the same issue, though!

I think this is becase the parameter set by the Web Application Designer.

Check this jupyter lab docs : Reporting an issue — JupyterLab 4.0.0a11 documentation
When scrolling mouse wheel at right and left panel, you will feel the difference.

Therefore, I think this is becaue of the jupyter lab itself, not other elements such as browswer.

Thanks!

Other websites (including Amazon from my experience) are facing this bug in Chrome 94 too: google chrome - Mouse wheel scroll function is slow on exact page - Stack Overflow so it is likely a Chrome bug, not anything wrong with JupyterLab itself. There is a bug report which seems relevant: 1254381 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail and it says that it is fixed in version 95. Could you please verify using Chromium from the dev channel (Chrome Release Channels - The Chromium Projects) please?

Or it could be Issue 1246097: Scroll speed (amount of scroll) drops dramatically with smooth scrolling - is this like on the provided fiddle: Edit fiddle - JSFiddle - Code Playground ?

1 Like

Yes, this is exactly the same issue with me! This bug captures it exactly.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1246097&q=component%3ABlink>Scroll

Since this appears to be an issue that will be fixed by Chrome (and not by Jupyter), I will consider this issue closed and mark yours as the solution.

1 Like