Can I start a JupyterHub server for multiple users without using Docker?

I’m new to JupyterHub and Docker, and I’ve read the document carefully, but I still have no idea how to start a server.
It seems that to create a server for multiple users you have to use Docker image. My goal is simple: let the user use the notebook just like I do (that is, they can import packages in my computer), except that they cannot use terminal commands nor read or access the parent files from their working folder.
Can I achieve this goal without using Dock image?

A common way to install JupyterHub is to create a single shared server or virtual machine, and give multiple users access to it. For example:

On a shared system you can’t simply prevent a user from accessing files outside their home directory. For example, the singleuser server, Python, and any libraries, are presumably in a shared location. Even if you duplicate them for each user they’ll still link to some system libraries. Python allows you to run any executable, so preventing terminal access won’t help.

If you want additional segregation then the simplest way is to use containerisation so each user is isolated inside their own environment.

1 Like