AttributeError: coroutine object has no attribute XYZ

Hey guys I’m trying to check a fix for a potential issue in the jupyterhub codebase, trying to set it up for tests. I followed the docs - i.e. pulled the git, installed deps etc.

When I’m running pytest, I’m getting tons of AttributeError: ‘coroutine’ object has no attribute ‘db_query_count’ errors (on version 5.x) or AttributeError: ‘coroutine’ object has no attribute ‘db’ (on version 4.x). I carefully followed the instructions in the docs. I tried on both JH docker image, and just a fresh clone from github.

GPT advised to run pytest with --asyncio-mode=auto - not sure if it’s a decent suggestion - but when I do this, I’m getting pytest: error: unrecognized arguments: --asyncio-mode=auto

Python 3.10, ubuntu 22.04. Also please note that I also tried to run the tests in a JH docker container where JH is just working fine, so the problem is really confusing - i.e. it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the Python version, or deps. In other words, everything is working but not tests…

Which documentation page are you following- can you give us a link?

The Docker container is for production, so it’s missing the development dependencies required to run the tests.

yeah, Setting up a development install — JupyterHub documentation