Anaconda not launching JupyterLab

I am unable to launch JupyterLab (3.2.1) from Anaconda. (I am able to launch Jupyter Notebook)
I have attempted to downgrade from an earlier version of JupyterLab (that did not work, returned to 3.2.1) and restarted the system.

I am also unable to open JupyterLab from CMD.exe (error is same as specified below)

JupyterLab was starting this morning, and started failing after I updated some modules from within Anaconda.

The error I get is:

C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\notebookapp.py:73: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
(“Don’t open the notebook in a browser after startup.”)
C:\Users…r\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\notebookapp.py:89: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
(“Allow the notebook to be run from root user.”)
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:20: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=
(‘Deprecated: Use minified JS file or not, mainly use during dev to avoid JS recompilation’),
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:25: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=
(“Supply extra arguments that will be passed to Jinja environment.”))
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:29: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=(“Extra variables to supply to jinja templates when rendering.”),
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:62: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=
(""“Path to search for custom.js, css”"")
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:76: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
Can be used to override templates from notebook.templates.""")
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:85: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=(""“extra paths to look for Javascript notebook extensions”"")
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:130: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=
(""“The MathJax.js configuration file that is to be used.”"")
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\traits.py:143: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=((“Dict of Python modules to load as notebook server extensions.”
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\notebookapp.py:124: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
This launches a Tornado based HTML Notebook Server that serves up an HTML5/Javascript Notebook client.""")
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\notebookapp.py:143: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=
(""“Path to search for custom.js, css”"")
C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\notebookapp.py:155: FutureWarning: The alias _() will be deprecated. Use _i18n() instead.
help=_(""“extra paths to look for Javascript notebook extensions”"")
[I 2022-02-11 13:11:09.820 ServerApp] jupyterlab | extension was successfully linked.
[W 2022-02-11 13:11:10.931 ServerApp] ‘ExtensionManager’ object has no attribute ‘_extensions’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\Scripts\jupyter-lab-script.py”, line 9, in
sys.exit(main())
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_server\extension\application.py”, line 567, in launch_instance
serverapp = cls.initialize_server(argv=args)
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_server\extension\application.py”, line 540, in initialize_server
find_extensions=find_extensions,
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\traitlets\config\application.py”, line 88, in inner
return method(app, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_server\serverapp.py”, line 2341, in initialize
point = self.extension_manager.extension_points[starter_extension]
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\jupyter_server\extension\manager.py”, line 303, in extension_points
for value in self.extensions.values()
File “C:\Users…\AppData\Local\Continuum\anaconda3\lib\site-packages\nbclassic\nbserver.py”, line 80, in extensions
nb = self._extensions.get(“nbclassic”)
AttributeError: ‘ExtensionManager’ object has no attribute ‘_extensions’

Ideas???

Thank you,

• John Pflueger

Searching for AttributeError: ‘ExtensionManager’ object has no attribute ‘_extensions’ brings up:

Which explains that you need to upgrade nbclassic. Since you are running conda, you could try with:

conda install "nbclassic>=0.2.8" -c conda-forge

If you are not using conda-forge channel, leave out the -c conda-forge part.