All users are disallowed with empty allowed_users

I have a JupyterHub following the Zero to JupyterHub with Kubernetes, using Keycloak for authentication.

Everything worked fine, until recently, when users were no authorized any more (they got 403 : Forbidden Sorry, you are not currently authorized to use this hub. Please contact the hub administrator.). I can circumvent this by manually authorizing them through hub.config.Authenticator.allowed_users in the helm config, but as far as I understand, leaving allowed_user empty should also work and simply authorize all authenticated user (which it did until recently).

Has anybody an idea what might be the issue? Iā€™m using Helm chart version 3.0.3 with JupyterHub version 4.0.2, but everything worked well with the same versions before. Thank you for your help!

This was a breaking change to improve security in OAuthenticator- not everyone realised that for example using Github with no further restrictions would allow any GitHub user to log in by default
https://oauthenticator.readthedocs.io/en/stable/reference/changelog.html#breaking-changes
Setting OAuthenticator.allow_all to True should restore the old behaviour

1 Like

Thank you very much! That was indeed it.