Advice Regarding JupyterHub using Kubernetes Authentication

I am attempting to properly set up a JupyterHub using Kubernetes (specifically, Google Kubernetes Engine for the Google Cloud) for a university course being offered this year. I am running into difficulties getting proper authentication set up on the site. I did not realize the simple First Use authenticator default on the Littlest JupyterHub would not be included. So, as of right now, the site runs on the Dummy authenticator with a whitelist and a shared password, which is not acceptable for another semester.

I am far from an expert with Kubernetes or helm, and it seems whenever I attempt to download the First Use or Native authenticators using pip, I am met with an error saying my JupyterHub version is not >= 0.8. However, my Hub is version 1.1.0. Executing pip freeze shows me that jupyterhub is not a package within pip, and thus I believe that is where the problem lies. Helm must be responsible for downloading and managing the jupyterhub package somehow, and I’m no longer sure how to use one of these two authenticators to work because of it.

On top of that, my university uses Microsoft Outlook accounts and authentication for its students and faculty. I did not see a way to integrate this as the site’s authentication method, but it would be the ideal method of doing so if possible. If not, I understand.

Does anyone have any sort of advice for my issue? I can send additional information on the issue if needed.

Which version of the Z2JH Helm chart are you using? The firstuseauthenticator is already included in the default JupyterHub Docker image.

Alternatively if your institution uses Microsoft Active Directory (it sounds like they do since you’re using Outlook and other services) you might be able to connect JupyterHub to it using OAuth2 which is included with Z2JH, talk to your network admins.