TLJH-repo2docker plugin - successfuly built docker images disappear randomly from the whole system

Hello, I have managed to install and run Jupyterhub with the TLJH-repo2docker plugin. It is probably important to say I run it inside a docker container, not directly on the host, but that shouldnt matter because docker can work and be nested within a docker container if you run the image as docker run... -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock ... $image.

My problem is however quite strange, images disappear randomly after successful build. I go to the Environments menu, click Add New, build the image, and sometimes it just disappears from the menu (and also from the docker images listing on the host, where the image is listed until it is not…) immediately after building it, and sometimes it sticks around for minutes or even hours and I can run it, make changes in it, everything about the image works fine, but eventually all images have disappeared on me. It behaves exactly like some sort of a docker garbage collector that deletes images if storage space is low or if there is a safety concern or some other problem, and docker just deletes the image from the system…

What could be causing docker to randomly erase images without any warning or an error message? I have enough storage space (20GB out 128GB left, the images are anywhere between 0.5-5GBs big), but I cant seem to keep a single one built by the repo2docker plugin. I tried running it on 2 different linux machines, and they both drop the images, so it has to be some default docker setting. Do you have any idea why docker images might be disappearing from the docker images listing? Does the TLJH-repo2docker plugin have some automatic image clearing in case something happens (but I dont know what the ‘something’ is). One moment the built image is running fine and is appearing in the docker images listing, and in the next second if I want to start the image again, it is gone, sometimes it is gone immediately after building, sometimes I can play and work with the image fine for hours before it finally disappears too. Thank you…