New terminal failed

jupyterhub:2.2.2
system: centos 8
the notebook page show nothing when i click new terminal in top menu.
the server console:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ptyprocess/ptyprocess.py”, line 522, in read
s = self.fileobj.read1(size)
OSError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/terminado/management.py”, line 234, in pty_read
s = ptywclients.ptyproc.read(65536)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ptyprocess/ptyprocess.py”, line 825, in read
b = super(PtyProcessUnicode, self).read(size)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/ptyprocess/ptyprocess.py”, line 528, in read
raise EOFError(‘End Of File (EOF). Exception style platform.’)
EOFError: End Of File (EOF). Exception style platform.
[I 2023-04-06 16:14:27.174 SingleUserNotebookApp management:216] EOF on FD 11; stopping reading
[I 2023-04-06 16:14:27.275 SingleUserNotebookApp management:389] Terminal 1 closed

Python 3.6 is pretty old. Although it’s technically supported by RedHat/CentOS that only applies to the packages managed directly by the distribution- many Jupyter projects no longer support it. It’s possible the error you’re seeing is due to an incompatibility between Python 3.6, Jupyter notebook, and its dependencies.

Can you try a more recent version of Python, e.g. 3.10?

1 Like

thanks,
python3.8 has same error. btw, I use ldapauthenticator that can create user and login suceesfully.

finally , the default configuration “c.NotebookApp.terminado_settings” must set a value like
c.NotebookApp.terminado_settings = {‘shell_command’: ‘/usr/bin/bash’} and change user bash when created