Keyboard Shortcuts with overrides.json

I’m unable to set or change keyboard shortcuts using the overrides.json file (in the application settings directory {sys.prefix}/share/jupyter/lab/settings).

My overrides.json file appears to work just fine for other settings (the theme or autosaveinterval for instance).

But there is no effect on the keyboard shortcuts. This has been reported before (see here).

I’m guessing this has something to do with the structure/nature of the shortcuts config file??

An example of the sort of overrides.json that has problems with keyboard shortcuts is below.

What doesn’t work in the overrides.json file does work in the user-settings, however. For my situation (containerised/kubernetes jupyterhub setup where I want people to start up with pre-configured jupyterlab instances), I don’t want to rely on user-settings (because home directories can get tricky on kubernetes)

{
    "@jupyterlab/docmanager-extension:plugin":{
        "autosaveInterval": 5
    },
    "@jupyterlab/apputils-extension:themes": {
        "theme": "JupyterLab Dark"
    },
    "@jupyterlab/notebook-extension:tracker": {
        "codeCellConfig": {
            "autoClosingBrackets": false
	   }
   },
   "@jupyterlab/shortcuts-extension:shortcuts": {
        "shortcuts": [
        {
            "command": "application:activate-next-tab",
            "keys": [
                "Ctrl Shift L"
            ],
            "selector": "body"
        }
    ]}
}

Hi, I have exactly the same issue. Any luck with solving this?

It’s not possible to override the keyboard shortcuts with overrides.json with the current codebase. I put in a PR here: Allow overrides.json to override default shortcuts. by jasongrout · Pull Request #9858 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub

1 Like

Great @jasongrout ! :slight_smile: Any idea when this will end up in an official release? Can’t seem to find it in a current release, right?

This is slated for JupyterLab 3.1. The release plan is at 3.1 Release Plan · Issue #10513 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab · GitHub and will be updated as necessary.

1 Like

Great! Recently updated and keyboard shortcuts now works like a charm with the overrides.json. Thanks a million. :smiley:

2 Likes