Jovian.ml increased usage in Binder

Hey @aakashns and @siddhant - thanks for reaching out and I hope we can work out something that works for both of our communities :sparkles:

A few responses below:

<3

This is great - one of the goals of the JupyterHub/Binder projects is to make computation more accessible to people outside of the north america/europe continents!

Us too! Our challenge is that there’s no “scaling model” for mybinder.org as it’s “just” a technical demo. So our challenge here is not one of different visions / hopes, we just have a reality that Binder has no dedicated resources right now so have to be careful about too much usage.

Thanks for coming up with some tangible ideas - we appreciate you putting in the effort to think through this and reach out.

Check out some of the ideas in this post: Tip: speed up Binder launches by pulling github content in a Binder link with nbgitpuller perhaps it would help you reduce the number of builds for repositories :+1:

We’ve discussed this before - feel free to add your thoughts etc!

We’ve discussed this as well and came up with (for now) a recommended way to do this with pre-existing tools rather than changing BinderHub, see:

I believe you can authenticate a BinderHub if you roll your own, the mybinder.org service is meant as a public demo and service and for this reason we don’t do user auth

There is some ability to do this already. For example I believe the library that the SpaCy docs use has the ability to cache a binder session for use on another page: GitHub - ines/juniper: 🍇 Edit and execute code snippets in the browser using Jupyter kernels

I’d love to see this support added to Thebe as well

http://thebe.readthedocs.org/

This is a good idea, perhaps you’d be willing to open up an issue in the documentation repository to suggest the information you’d like to see so we can track the issue?

Also just a final note - I appreciate all of these suggestions about new development, but again please keep in mind that nobody is paid to work on Binder dev, we are just a community of volunteers, and I welcome your contributions to discuss and tackle some of these issues as well!

5 Likes