Is there a free (even ad-supported) public JupyterHub available?

I’m curious about how/if you are preventing abuse? I’m worried right now someone could make a bunch of accounts and start a nice bitcoin mining operation on GESIS’s dime…

@nscozzaro the short answer is someone could do this right now. We had lots of discussions around this topic and I think the BTC miner is there only a benign case. Our goal is to provide a system that provides value to (social) scientists. This obviously comes with some risks.
The “longer answer” is physical isolation of the hardware and monitoring.

2 Likes

Hi Nicolas,

Please keep us posted on this thread if possible. IMO, one of the biggest challenges to people getting started is not only the cost but the sysadmin challenges required to keep things organized. Still interested in helping with something here… and will perhaps think through a setup.

-Leonard

@dataschool and @psychemedia have also done some comparison work of cloud-based services that run Notebooks. There are actually quite a number of these services even though not all of them are JupyterHubs.

1 Like

Do you have an idea how to address this with your plan for a hub?

The plan for my hub is to get f1-micro to work (I tried and failed again tonight) which has sufficiently small resources such that it wouldn’t be worth anyone’s time to use it for bitcoin mining. I think Colab and Kaggle must have a similar issue but I imagine they might have some monitoring tools to kill servers running for too long… I don’t think that would be too hard to implement when the time comes.