How to Version Control Jupyter Notebooks

This is nice.
I hope the option to save the file without the output will become an option or inline magic command.

@matthew.brett , How can one integrate Jupytext into VS Code (I use VS Code for Jupyter notebooks).

Ah - I don’t know about VSCode - I guess that will depend on the Jupytext output format - and whether you need the notebook to be interactive in VSCode. I edit in Vim, and then go back to the notebook interface to test from time to time.

A big milestone here in viewing well-formed, nbformat-validated Jupyter Notebooks in their native JSON format:

This is powered by the excellent nbdime, mentioned a bit above, with the longer history of this effort here:

Because it’s powered by an actual Jupyter tool, and not an intern’s copy in the platform’s language du jour, it works for every version of the Jupyter Notebook Format, even those from before The Big Split.

And while of course, this is on a proprietary platform, of course owned by a Big Tech of consistently dubious morals, as a community we can at least bask in being embraced for a while :hugs: .

6 Likes