Governance Office Hours Meeting Minutes

Bummer. I was going to attend today.

That is a bummer. Discourse needs a :broken_heart: button next to the heart one.

1 Like

To echo @willingc 's point, I had put together a list of governance information / models / etc of other open source projects in my initial attempt at jump-starting this process last October:

Maybe some of that will be useful.

2 Likes

Meeting Minutes – September 25, 2019

The weekly hourly office hours call is open to the community members who care about governance issues. The call is held 9-10AM PST on Tuesdays.

  • Attendees

    • Brian
    • Fernando
    • Carol
    • Tim
    • Jason
    • Darian
    • Zach
  • We discussed cross project communication:

    • Project is large and it is difficult for any person to follow work
      across the project.
    • This makes it difficult to do or stay informed about cross project
      architectural work.
    • Would be helpful to have a monthly mechanism for orgs/repos to report
      activities, work, from the previous month, as well as plans for the
      coming month.
    • Maybe we should have each repo/org appoint a communications point
      person who sends a few bullet points with links to a centralized
      location each month.
    • We would likely need a person to organize the effort and publish the result.
    • Maybe the communications point people could rotate?
    • We talked about using the jupyter/newsletter to collect this
      information, with the org level communications point person submitting
      a PR each month.
    • Would need to work out a schedule.
  • Zach may be able and willing to help us bootstrap this process.

  • Visibility of governance work:

    • The weekly minutes of the governance meeting posted to discourse are
      helpful, but still not sufficient for people observing to understand
      the project plan for the governance work, and where things are at
      currently.
    • It may help for us to create a project plan for the governance
      refactor, with rough steps, goals, timeline, etc.
  • Python Leadership group:

    • Meets 1x week with 5 people, with preapproved agenda.
    • Use GitHub to track tasks, work minutes.
    • Report out periodically.
    • They have expectations around regular attendance, and onboard people to that.
4 Likes

Meeting Minutes – October 1, 2019

The weekly hourly office hours call is open to the community members who care about governance issues. The call is held 9-10AM PST on Tuesdays.

  • Attendees
    • Brian
    • Tim G.
    • Tim H.
    • Jason
    • Darian
    • Ana
  • Reviewed the Governance Refactor Proposal
    • Goals
      • Does this still reflect our plan?
      • Should we make this document public?
    • Read silently for 5m
    • “What is a reasonable amount of time?” In a different set of meeting minutes (3 Sept.) we said we’d refactor governance “this year”, so perhaps the plan document should reflect this.
    • Makes sense to update and publish this document.
      • Updates:
        • Be clearer about a reasonable amount of time.
        • Check language related to original intent of document vs current state.
        • Attendees of this meeting to make edits.
  • Google Drives Provided by NumFOCUS?
    • Let’s explore this.
  • Expert Interviews
    • Two expert interviews are completed, processing into transcripts and summaries.
    • Two more are either deferred or otherwise complete.

Meeting Minutes – October 15, 2019

The weekly hourly office hours call is open to the community members who care about governance issues. The call is held 9-10AM PST on Tuesdays.

  • Attendees

    • Fernando
    • Brian
    • Zach
    • Chris
    • Tim G.
  • Plan for Brian/Fernando to prepare a first draft for public comment by mid-December, with help from others as available.

  • Organize initial writing around the stated questions – this helps parallelize as well as covering all the ground of what has been raised already.

  • How to surface intermediate thinking process to better engage the community?

    • Post the current 16 driving questions on the governance repo or Discourse?

    • One issue with Google Docs is that it makes it hard to explore forking options, it strongly drives towards consensus based on small changes that need to converge into a single version. Post instead drafts on Github repo?

  • What needs to get done before we start to draft answers to the governance questions?

    • Completing and digesting the expert interviews [Tim]

    • Completing and digesting the MVV work [Brian]

    • Studying other governance models

  • Put the governance proposal through the JEP process in a formal manner?

    • It puts a timebox on the process and structures the community feedback.
  • Action Items

    • Brian to make an introduction for Tim to conduct another expert interview

    • Brian to pick up work on MVV

    • Brian to create Google Team Drive for Jupyter Governance and migrate content.

    • Tim to conduct one additional interview.

    • Jason to conduct one additional interview.

    • Each week, Fernando and/or Brian post to discourse with a list of questions in a category and a summary of how our current governance model answers those.

Meeting Minutes – October 22, 2019

The weekly hourly office hours call is open to the community members who care about governance issues. The call is held 9-10AM PST on Tuesdays.

  • Attendees

    • Fernando
    • Brian
    • Zach
    • Chris
    • Darian
    • Jason
    • Tim G.
  • We addressed the next set of questions we want the governance to answer. Today’s set of questions:

    • Teams and projects
      • How do we create project unity while supporting autonomous, smaller teams?
      • What is the official list of Jupyter projects and how do new projects become part of Jupyter? How are projects conducted and governed?
      • What are the “shared resources” of Project Jupyter and how are they allocated among the projects?
  • We had a discussion on stakeholders and who decides how much of a stakeholder each party is.

    • Different orgs have different ways to recognize stakeholders.
      • Node recognizes the people that ‘contribute’ (Show up on github, willing to do the work), as the stakeholders.
      • A much different example is Blender, they have a user base who is technical, and engaged, but not the same people that are actually coding the software.
1 Like

Meeting Minutes – October 29, 2019

The weekly hourly office hours call is open to the community members who care about governance issues. The call is held 9-10AM PST on Tuesdays.

  • Attendees

    • Fernando
    • Brian
    • Darian
    • Jason
    • Tim G.
  • We had a discussion of a “federal” analogy as it applies to the Jupyter projects/repos

  • Talked about MVV work and its impact on the governance work.

  • We worked on the third community post, Office Holders

  • Standing Action Items

    • Brian to make an introduction for Tim to conduct another expert interview.

    • Brian to pick up work on MVV

    • Jason to conduct an expert interview.

Today’s governance meeting (November 5th, 2019) has been cancelled. We’ll resume again next week!

1 Like

Hey all - as discussed in the latest meeting minutes, I’ve refactored the questions from the last two weeks so that the first post simply has a bulleted list of questions for people to answer, and one of the replies to the thread are the comments and extra info that the governance team came up with. I’ve also created a new community forum user for these “meta/admin” posts: @jovyan :slight_smile:

I think it would be good to add a comment to the posts by @jovyan (at least at the beginning of using the account) to clarify who/what this account is as well as explain it in the account’s profile.

I was surprised to see an account with that name and the Jupyter logo posting things. My impression (until I found this post) was that it reflects the official opinion of the current steering council after first thinking someone made the account to remain anonymous or it was one of the people on the steering council who didn’t want to reveal their identity. Basically confused.com

1 Like

Good point - I mostly wanted an account that wasn’t attached to any one specific person. What is information that you think would clarify this? I can update the Bio, I could add the name “bot” or “admin” or something like that?

1 Like

Just to clarify Chris, the latest meeting minutes are from 10.29.19? Or have minutes from this week been posted?

Exactly. I’d add a sentence to the bio explaining what the purpose of the account is, what it does and who controls it.

1 Like

I don’t believe that the minutes from this week have been posted - now that you mention it, I’m not sure that I have access to the minutes doc? In the meeting we had discussed that some of the question prompts were a bit “wall-of-text-y” and it might be more helpful to split off all the extra information into a separate reply so it was easier to follow.

I just realized I don’t think users have bios on here…however I added “bot” to the “title” of the user, as well as to the name of the user. Does that work?

Somewhere in the profile you can put a sentence like the one that says that you work at UC Berkeley. That is what I was thinking of with “bio”.

Hmmm now I just have to remember how to configure this haha

1 Like

Hey all - I’m strapped for time so won’t be able to make the governance meeting today - I spent some time yesterday giving my own thoughts to Governance Questions 3: Office Holders andhttps://discourse.jupyter.org/t/governance-questions-2-teams-and-projects/2510/6, and I’ll loop in asynchronously this week as well

1 Like

Meeting Minutes – November 19, 2019

The weekly hourly office hours call is open to the community members who care about governance issues. The call is held 9-10AM PST on Tuesdays.

  • Attendees

    • Fernando
    • Tim G.
    • Darian
  • Most of the meeting was continuing on debrief from expert interview led by Tim George.

    • Musing on leadership: Leadership is a commodity that’s rarer than we want it to be.

      • Does it make sense for each steering council member to have a ‘deputy’ who’s being trained by the steering council member to be groomed as a future member?

        • Or have some ‘voting members’ and ‘non-voting members’ of the SC and require a certain amount of time as a non-voting member on the council.
  • What is the time commitment for a member of Jupyter leadership?

    • Regular (weekly?) meetings

    • Speaking/travel obligations

  • Discussion on volunteer-selection working to only allow people who have financial stability in leadership.

    • How can we develop leadership within individuals throughout many levels of the project?

    • We have an existing notion of “sub-projects” and “Committees”, we can encode these values so that people in positions can show their employers what impact they are having within the Jupyter Ecosystem, giving some value to individuals that work on Jupyter.

  • One potential way of populating the leadership and mentorship pipeline is to hire people from the open-source adjacent consulting firms in our community for x number of hours in y months to mentor new folks who are coming up in the community. So the Outreachy model plus a way to fund the mentors who would shepherd the new entrants to our community.