Failed to find a compatible Python environment at the configured path :-(

Came here from the Help menu in JupyterLab Desktop app.

The issue actually concerns linking a custom environment to JupyterLab and not the desktop app per se. I’m a noob who came to Python from a completely different field, and I often feel stuck in things that are obvious to every normal programmer.

I use Python 3.10.5 both in Windows 11 and Ubuntu 22, and it works just fine (e.g. from the command line).

JupyterLab Desktop comes with its bundled environment (Python 3.8.13 at the moment) and works fine, too. But I want to integrate it with 3.10 so I can use Structural Pattern Matching and other newer features. The app provides a dialog to change the environment.

I select Use a custom Python environment, click Select Python path and choose the path to the Python 3.10 (e.g. ~\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\python.exe in Windows). But when I click Apply and Restart, an error message shows up saying, Failed fo find a compatible Python environment at the configured path.

I think it’s because JupyterLab cannot find some necessary settings in Python 3.10 folder, but I have no idea what these settings are and how to configure them. Again, the issue is exactly the same in Ubuntu. How to fix this?

You need to have the latest version of jupyterlab installed in the environment that you selected. I cannot say more as the image that you attached does not seem to load for me - would you mind trying to upload it again/using a different way to share it?

Thank you @krassowski for pointing out my failure with the image. For some reason, I cannot make it show up, so here’s the link to it: Set Python environment.

I’m afraid I don’t understand what exactly to do in order “to have the latest version of jupyterlab installed in the environment that I selected”. I have installed bare Python 3.10.5 (without JupyterLab) in its default location, then I’ve installed JupyterLab separately, and it came with its own Python 3.8.13. Should I somehow install JupyterLab into the folder with already existing Python 3.10.5 or something?

Thought someone might find this useful: Failed to find a compatible python environment at the configured path (3.3.2-2+) · Issue #438 · jupyterlab/jupyterlab-desktop · GitHub