`Error: No provider for: jupyter.extensions.jupyterWidgetRegistry` after locally installing a custom labextension

Ipyvolume is being installed through conda and we don’t install the labextension seperately for any of these widgets. Version mismatch (by my understanding) cannot simply be the issue, because ipycytoscape says that 1.2.0 is not registered as a widget model in the 4th post of this thread but the second post shows that jupyter -cytoscape v1.2.0 is enabled and OK.

ipyvolume has a strange issue where it installs an older version of the extension thru conda (as I have seen with jupyter labextension list) but that’s probably just a bug that needs to be fixed by the widget’s maintainers.

For the rest of the widgets, the console output after running the code for that widget is just like the following;

Here I ran an ipyleaflet code cell, got an Error displaying widget: model not found as the output, and then you can see that the installed labextension for jupyter-ipyleaflet matches the version that the console says is not registered as a widget module.